[Dovecot] A few words about NFS please?

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Wed Feb 16 11:08:35 EET 2005

On Tuesday 15 Feb 2005 7:22 pm, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> I would like to use Dovecot for both POP and IMAP on the two
> machines.  I know NFS is frowned upon, but this has worked for
> me.  Comments and suggestions, please?

Why mbox? Have you read the original maildir documentation by DJB?

http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html

Strikes me that you could deliver it over NFS to the box running IMAP using
maildir, with reasonable confidence this is how everything was designed to
work. Although you need to check how things like .forward would be handled.

My experience of email over NFS like you have is that it does work well
enough. No doubt large implementations may have some fun with NFS locking.
But these days I see little need for small organisation to use more than one
box for email, providing MTA and IMAP, in which case NFS is an unneeded
complication.