[Dovecot] A few words about NFS please?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Tue Feb 15 21:22:38 EET 2005

Hi,

Could you say a few words about Dovecot and POP/IMAP to
an NFS mounted filesystem?  I thought I saw on the dovecot
webpage that NFS is "no way" with 0.99 and "maybe" with
1.x.  I was looking for the FAQ and couldn't find it.

My setup is like so:  My mail server is a Solaris 9 system,
running sendmail/procmail, and qpopper POP.  Mail is stored in
mbox format.  The /var/mail filesystem is NFS exported to another
Solaris 9 system that runs UW-IMAP.  The user community also has
login access to this second system, so there are also local email
clients like Pine and emacs using the NFS /var/mail.

So, POP and sendmail/procmail accesses /var/mail locally, while
UW-IMAP accesses it via NFS.  The user community has been warned
to do either POP or IMAP, but not both.  There are very few problems
with this setup.

I would like to use Dovecot for both POP and IMAP on the two
machines.  I know NFS is frowned upon, but this has worked for
me.  Comments and suggestions, please?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College