[Dovecot] Trigger getmail via mail-client action?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Feb 28 00:58:47 EET 2005

Gert Brinkmann wrote:
>>> it to be run. The ideal solution for me was to invoke getmail when
>>> the "Get Mail"-Button of the mail client is pressed. Is this
>>> possible? Perhaps there is something like a connection- or
>>> refresh-trigger in dovecot?

So, really, whenever a user logs into the IMAP server, you want to set a flag
somewhere saying getmail should run.

 From memory there is a config option that will run a script at login.  You
could use this to 'touch' a file somewhere.  Then, put a script in cron which
checks for this file (and perhaps its staleness), and upon finding it, runs
getmail.

If dovecot does NOT have the login/logout triggered script, I believe I'm not
the only person who thinks it would be a useful feature :)

Worst case, you'll have to write your own plugin to get this functionality...
which isn't a big deal, from what I've seen.  And if it comes to that, you
could possibly make the plugin trigger getmail itself... I believe the config
API is sufficient that you could make the script/parms/timing configurable.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net