[Dovecot] Trigger getmail via mail-client action?

Wouter Van Hemel wouter-dovecot at fort-knox.rave.org
Mon Feb 28 08:16:55 EET 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Gert Brinkmann wrote:

> [...]
> My idea is that dovecot somehow could recognize when the user does press the
> "Get Mail" Button in the mail client (the mail client connects to dovecot).
> If this is the case dovecot could start an external command on each such an
> event. In my case I would let it invoke "getmail".
>
> [...]

I see. I've had a simlar problem a few years ago, although I already had a
permanent internet connection. Rather than having to pull my mail in on my
router every few minutes or so even when I wasn't reading it, I just wrote
a little script that HUP's fetchmail with a shorter polling interval when
my desktop machine was on (by pinging it).

Not completely what you were looking for, but perhaps an idea...

It would save you from writing a plugin, though.