[Dovecot] Too many open files, etc.

Martin Preen preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Feb 28 12:39:16 EET 2005

Hello,
a few days ago I switched out UW-server installation to
dovecot 0.99.14 (Solaris 9). There were a few client issues,
but mostly the migration was ok.

But I have still some questions/problems:

+) dovecot-auth: ... PAM: pipe() failed: Too many open files
I increased the max. number of open files. Is this normal
behaviour, that more than 512 open files are needed ?

+) we're using mbox on NFS and index files on local disks.
When building the index files for the first time, it takes
(of course) a long time for large folders. But we have these
users, and this will happen sometimes. Is there a way to
improve performance ?

+) in general dovecot saves a lot of NFS-bandwidth compared
to UW-imap. Thats what I was looking for. But there also seems
to be a problem with large inboxes (> 10 MB) and/or large
attachments. Is this right ?

One user currently gets this error from Pine when accessing a
large attachment: MAIL FOLDER "INBOX" CLOSED DUE TO ACCESS ERROR.
AFAIK this error is related to some timeout problem.
Has anyone seen this (and a solution for it) ?

Thanks.
Martin

Martin Preen, Universitaet Freiburg, Institut fuer Informatik
Georges-Koehler-Allee, Geb.52, Zi.00-006, 79110 Freiburg, Germany

phone: ++49 761 203-8250         preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
fax: ++49 761 203-8242           www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de