[Dovecot] authenticate authenticated users

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at birdvet.org
Tue Jan 4 23:49:55 EET 2005

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm using dovecot on a LAN server. I sometimes read mail from the server
>itself locally with mutt and sometimes remotely with mutt or mozilla .
>
>I would like to avoid typing my password whenever necessary but without
>writing a plain-text equivalent copy of it locally.
>
>It feels quite silly to have to type the password locally becase the
>imapd does not know that the process is indeed a process of the user
>tzafrir. It has all the information it neeeds to check that.
>
>wu-imapd has something called "pre-authentication": the imapd is run by
>the user unpriviliged to access mail in the user's home directory. As a
>bonus this works quite nicely with ssh public key authentication. I know
>that at least mutt and pine support running a custom command for
>creating an imap connection. But then again, wu-imapd is built quite,
>well, differently.
>
>Any ideas?

You might look at this:

http://www.benjamin.weiss.name/mail-server.sh

It's unfinished, but I don't have to type a password when using mutt
locally.  note, however, that I don't allow imap from anywhere but
localhost.  Externally, I use imaps.  It all works well with
Thunderbird, as also.

I'm away next week for my RHCE course and test, I'll finish the script
and write up a page on configuring Thunderbird when I get back.

HTH,

Ben