[Dovecot] problems deleting folders

Danny Sung dannys at changind.com
Wed Jan 5 01:38:05 EET 2005

I've been having this problem for quite some time now of not being able
to remove folders.  I'm using:

Fedora Core 2
dovecot-0.99.10.4-4

And dovecot is setup as using imaps (w/ SSL) and mbox files (instead of
maildir).

I've done a small amount of tracing to see what the problem is, and it
looks like what happens is when all messages in a folder is removed,
there's still a 0-byte file lying around.  And the "delete" command
issued from mail clients (I've used both Thunderbird and MS Outlook) end
up trying to throw the file into Trash instead of somehow sending a
delete command.  This then results in an error.  Maybe this is normal
IMAP behavior, I don't know.  But that's what looks like is happening.

If anyone knows of a good solution to this, I would really appreciate it.

I'd rather avoid using maildir but if anyone knows whether this will
definitely solve the problem, then I'll make the switch.

Thanks