[Dovecot] Re: maildir and /var/spool/mail

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Wed Jan 12 12:55:43 EET 2005

Greetings ...

> Not sure what to do next. Have imap working in that I can see messages
> in inbox. When I create a folder it won't create one. Looking at maillog
> shows that I don't have rights to folder /var/spool/mail/.sent or
> whatever folder I am trying to create. I have procmailrc and
> dovecot.conf point to /home/Maildir but for some reason something is
> tied to /var/spool/mail. Of course I am running FC3 and sendmail.
> Someone have any ideas as to what to try next?
	I'm not sure of the rest of the history with this, but my FC3
installation has

[root at nasrec etc]# cat /etc/procmailrc
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
#VERBOSE=on
#LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail

[root at nasrec etc]# ll /etc/procmailrc
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 109 May  2  2004 procmailrc

	I do remember having to delete the old mail box of one of my installs,
where I had started using dovecot before putting in my procmailrc file ...

	I stop dovecot, imap* and pop3* ... Removed all the wrong mailboxs both
in user folder and in /var/spool/mail ... Ran

mail -s Test user
Type a message here
< Press Control-D here >

	Message gets delieverd in maildir format, start dovecot and all seemed
well.

	I hope this helps.

Mailed
Lee