[Dovecot] maildir and /var/spool/mail

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 12 12:58:38 EET 2005

On 12.1.2005, at 06:24, Steve Hickel wrote:

>  Not sure what to do next. Have imap working in that I can see
> messages in inbox. When I create a folder it won't create one. Looking
> at maillog shows that I don't have rights to folder
> /var/spool/mail/.sent or whatever folder I am trying to create. I have
> procmailrc and dovecot.conf point to /home/Maildir but for some reason
> something is tied to /var/spool/mail. Of course I am running FC3 and
> sendmail. Someone have any ideas as to what to try next?

Dovecot 0.99.x doesn't support mixed mbox/maildir setup. Either make
sendmail deliver mails to ~/Maildir/ (I don't know how that's done) or
use mbox folders. In any case your default_mail_env is most likely set
wrong because it's treating /var/spool/mail as user's root mail
directory. With mboxes it should be like:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u