[Dovecot] mbox slowness in dovecot-1.0-test61

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Fri Jan 28 07:25:35 EET 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Tomi Hakala wrote:
> Todd Burroughs wrote:
> > We're trying out Dovecot to see if it's a good replacement for UW-imapd.
> > It seems to be very slow in opening an mbox file, even after it's been
> > indexed.  (I mean way slower than UW)
>
> In which point you see the slowdown? Just after login or after issuing
> some searches first?

I ran a few more tests and it is with the searching.  Turning all my
filters off makes it really fast...

I did some manual tests and it looks like UW caches the headers, so that
searches are fast, but it is slow to open the mailbox initially.  With
dovecot, all the searches take about the same amount of time, so it seems
that it isn't caching headers.

I'll have to look into that, but I'm impressed otherwise.

Todd