[Dovecot] bug: very strange behavior with pop3

Yannick Majoros majoros at inma.ucl.ac.be
Fri Jul 1 20:01:50 EEST 2005

 Hello,

 We have some strange problem which could be related to authentication here.

 All our user info is in an openldap directory. We normally use
pam/getpwent in dovecot to access our user accounts, via
nss_ldap/pam_ldap, but we tried to connect directly to the ldap server,
with the very same results.

 We have one user (out of 100) which just cannot use dovecot with pop3.
His login/password are accepted, and then dovecot doesn't say anything.
I am sure it isn't a client issue: same result with Eudora, Thunderbird
and while directly connecting through openssl to POP3s port and "talking
POP3". Here is some session transcript:

+OK dovecot ready.
USER rinstalle
+OK
PASS M=/)p365
+OK Logged in.

 And it then stops responding (without giving a reason, breaking the
connection). Nothing in the logs, it sees this as a regular login and
that's all...

 Now, it seems that when I copy this user in ldap, the new one
occasionaly works. I first thought it did depend on the user name (uid
or dn), but it doesn't seem to be the case. I think it is just random.

 Here is an ldif of this user:
dn:
uid=rinstalle,ou=divers,ou=login,ou=Autres,ou=Personnes,dc=inma,dc=ucl,dc=
 ac,dc=be
uid: rinstalle
cn: compte foireux
homeDirectory: /home/xx
sn: xxxx
uidNumber: 9999
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
gidNumber: 999

... And getent result (with nss_ldap):
#getent passwd rinstalle
rinstalle:x:9999:999:compte foireux:/home/xx:

 To be complete, I should mention that it _does_ work when using local
password files...

 I solved the user problem just by copying his entry a few times. Now, I
don't think it is purely ldap-related, as the login _is_ accepted.

 Is there some guru out here who could help us?

 Thank you,

Yannick Majoros http://www.inma.ucl.ac.be/~majoros
Informaticien AUTO-INMA/FSA/UCL

CSAM
4, avenue G. Lemaître
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium
Tel: +32-10-47.80.10
Fax: +32-10-47.21.80
#JAPH : http://www.inma.ucl.ac.be/~majoros/japh.txt
Si vous avez des problèmes pour afficher ce message
(accents qui ne passent pas, signature électronique,
...) votre système de mail n'est pas conforme aux
standards, voir
http://www.inma.ucl.ac.be/~majoros/email.html