[Dovecot] bug: very strange behavior with pop3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 4 01:08:45 EEST 2005

On 1.7.2005, at 20:01, Yannick Majoros wrote:

> We have one user (out of 100) which just cannot use dovecot with pop3.
> His login/password are accepted, and then dovecot doesn't say
> anything. I am sure it isn't a client issue: same result with Eudora,
> Thunderbird and while directly connecting through openssl to POP3s
> port and "talking POP3". Here is some session transcript:
>
> +OK dovecot ready.
> USER rinstalle
> +OK
> PASS M=/)p365
> +OK Logged in.
>
> And it then stops responding (without giving a reason, breaking the
> connection). Nothing in the logs, it sees this as a regular login and
> that's all...

So it's Dovecot that disconnects just after logging in, even if you try
with openssl client directly? Then there should be something in
Dovecot's logs..

> Now, it seems that when I copy this user in ldap, the new one
> occasionaly works. I first thought it did depend on the user name (uid
> or dn), but it doesn't seem to be the case. I think it is just random.
..
> ... And getent result (with nss_ldap):
> #getent passwd rinstalle
> rinstalle:x:9999:999:compte foireux:/home/xx:
>
> To be complete, I should mention that it _does_ work when using local
> password files...
>
> I solved the user problem just by copying his entry a few times. Now,
> I don't think it is purely ldap-related, as the login _is_ accepted.

It sounds like either home directory is wrong, or the uid/gid doesn't
have access to it. Or maybe you have set LDAP to return "mail" entry
too which is wrong? In any case after the "OK Logged in" message
Dovecot doesn't even know how it got its information, it only cares
that home/uid/gid is correct.