[Dovecot] BOGUS files

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Sat Jul 2 20:20:41 EEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 05:30:59PM +0100, Obantec Support wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have seen 2 different files (usernames) with the BOGUS setting and the
> username file.
> i have yet to see a BOGUS file > 0 bytes.
>
> Yes in /var/spool/mail

Are you using procmail?  As I recall, if procmail is built to think of
/var/mail as the where users' inboxes are, and encounters a file in
/var/mail that it can't or won't make use of, it will attempt to rename
it to that BOGUS name and get it out of the way so that it *can* use a
mailbox file in /var/mail.  This includes moving symbolic links.

mm