[Dovecot] Root password or key access to pop3?

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Jul 5 21:07:04 EEST 2005

Hi all,

We're an ISP, and are currently looking for a way for our tech support
guys to access customer's email without having shell access to the server,
or knowing the customer's password.

We'd like to install a custom webmail client that would only show the
user's inbox and the ability to delete the messages.  The problem is, that
we would have to know the user's password in order for my PHP pop3 code to
go out and fetch the mail.

Is there a way I can setup and/or patch dovecot so that any connection
from <said IP address> can use the password "jq3erjq3535" for any account,
and it will authenticate them?

Or is this some kind of custom patch I would need to write?

Thanks!

-Matt