[Dovecot] Root password or key access to pop3?

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 21:49:35 EEST 2005

Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're an ISP, and are currently looking for a way for our tech support
> guys to access customer's email without having shell access to the
> server, or knowing the customer's password.
>
> We'd like to install a custom webmail client that would only show the
> user's inbox and the ability to delete the messages.  The problem is,
> that we would have to know the user's password in order for my PHP pop3
> code to go out and fetch the mail.
>
> Is there a way I can setup and/or patch dovecot so that any connection
> from <said IP address> can use the password "jq3erjq3535" for any
> account, and it will authenticate them?
>
> Or is this some kind of custom patch I would need to write?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Matt

Hi Matt,

You could keep the passwords in plain text form in an sql table for
dovecot to access, you could then easily plug this into a PHP script.
Or just give them access to the MySQL database.  We as an ISP keep
passwords in crypt or MD5 form as well as plain text in the SQL so the
customer's control panel can reveal their E-Mail and FTP passwords upon
request.

Regards
Andrew
--