[Dovecot] Binc IMAP "IMAPdir" style layout

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 6 23:19:33 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 16:13 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:03:30PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >
> > Actually I thought back then that IMAPdir was using normal directories
> > for mailbox hierarchy, but it's actually pretty much the same as
> > Maildir++, just without the leading dots and with some other small
> > changes. So even though IMAPdir support could come one day, I don't see
> > it being very useful.
>
> I think its most useful thing would be the ability to encapsulate any
> storage format inside a subfolder/subdirectory, e.g. being able to
> include an mbox inside of a maildir++ hierarchy.  I don't remember if
> IMAPdir supports that, exactly, and I'm too occupied (er, lazy) to go
> look it up right now, but my impression was that that would be one of
> its strong points if it did.

Nothing really prevents that kind of usage with Maildir++ layout
either.. :) After v1.0 I'll separate the directory layouts and the
actual mailbox handling code. Then we could have eg.:

Maildir++:
Maildir/.maildir.subfolder/
Maildir/.mbox.subfolder.file

IMAPdir:
Mail/maildir.subfolder/
Mail/mbox.subfolder.file

Real directory layout, whatever it should be called:
Mail/maildir/subfolder/
Mail/mbox/subfolder/file

With symlinking and everything being possible..