[Dovecot] weird IDLE behaviour

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Fri Jul 8 14:32:53 EEST 2005

Hi,

So I was testing things with inotify notifications enabled and noticed
that when I
a) select a mailbox other than the inbox
b) IDLE
c) copy mail into the /new folder in that mailbox

nothing happens!
So I straced it and it always opens the inbox's new/ and cur/
directories for notifications. Is that the correct behaviour?

I assumed that if I select some mailbox other than the inbox, IDLE
should inform me of status updates in that box, since RFC 2177 says:

   The Internet Message Access Protocol [IMAP4] requires a client to
   poll the server for changes to the selected mailbox (new mail,
   deletions).

Now, I get this behaviour by applying the attached patch.

But even if I'm wrong, dovecot doesn't implement any sensible behaviour,
as it only ever creates *any* notifications during IDLE when the INBOX
is selected.

[hm. note that I'm only testing maildir]

johannes