[Dovecot] add inotify support to dovecot

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jul 13 09:44:15 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 18:47 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 13:32 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > The only thing I don't like about this patch is the fact that I had to
> > add a field notify_context to struct io, but I didn't see a different
> > way to handle this.
>
> I guess that's fine for now.
>
> I committed the patch into CVS, but I did some small and some larger
> changes. Don't know if it works anymore, please try :)

Will do as soon as I get to it.

Btw. inotify doesn't require an open fd, so you could, in theory, change
the notification API so that the backend (dnotify,inotify,none) gets to
decide whether the fd should be kept open. With inotify, you could start
listening to events on all folders without the noticable overhead of
keeping fds open for all. But that would require a major change in the
code, so I didn't do it.

johannes