[Dovecot] IMAP: Get rid of non-existent folders below INBOX

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 10:37:16 EEST 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:40:50PM +0200, André Wendt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Debian Sarge w/ dovecot-imapd package 0.99.14-1. Squirrelmail
> created three folders below INBOX, Drafts/Sent/Trash, that I already had
> elsewhere. Thus, I deleted them (through SqM).
>
> However, both Thunderbird and Squirrelmail still show these folders
> anyway. When I select them, I keep getting "Mailbox does not exist"
> errors. I already tried to move all .imap.index* files in .INBOX/ out of
> the way -- dovecot created new ones but the folders still appear.
>
> I am stuck. How can I prevent dovecot from advertising those
> non-existent folders? Is this an index-structure problem?

In general this is one of my pet hates about MUAs and IMAP servers,
they insist on creating these folders in places that *they* decide.

It should be up to the user firstly *whether* they want Drafts and/or
Trash and/or Sent and, even more to the point, it should be up to the
user where these mailboxes are kept.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."