[Dovecot] linux 2.4 vs 2.6 kernel

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Jul 19 04:28:15 EEST 2005

Marc Perkel wrote:
> Actually - yes. Same problem. But the solution is to use the Reiser
> Filesystem. It doesn't have the ext3 problem.

Now, I don't want to start a religious war, but...

Ext2 has the advantages that 1) it can fall back to ext2 in recovery cases, and
2) because of that, it has all the well-tested ext2 recovery tools available.

People I know who've used Reiser say it's wonderfuly fast, but if it corrupts,
well... save your time, and go straight to restoring your backups.

Also, take a look at the tune2fs options.  I understand -O dir_index will set it
to use a b-tree index for faster handling of large directories.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net