[Dovecot] linux 2.4 vs 2.6 kernel

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Jul 19 04:33:54 EEST 2005

Curtis Maloney wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Actually - yes. Same problem. But the solution is to use the Reiser
>> Filesystem. It doesn't have the ext3 problem.
>

> Now, I don't want to start a religious war, but...
>
> Ext2 has the advantages that 1) it can fall back to ext2 in recovery
> cases, and 2) because of that, it has all the well-tested ext2
> recovery tools available.
>
> People I know who've used Reiser say it's wonderfuly fast, but if it
> corrupts, well... save your time, and go straight to restoring your
> backups.
>
> Also, take a look at the tune2fs options.  I understand -O dir_index
> will set it to use a b-tree index for faster handling of large
> directories.
>
> --
> Curtis Maloney
> cmaloney at cardgate.net

I've been using it for 5 years and it works great. It specifically
eliminates the speed problems of Maildir where you have thousands of
files in a single directory.  And it has infinite inodes so you never
run out of them. Reiser is ideal for email systems.

Marc Perkel - marc at perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com