[Dovecot] linux 2.4 vs 2.6 kernel

Adam Todorski at at proyektx.net
Tue Jul 19 04:42:24 EEST 2005

I administer a mail system at work that runs ext3 with Maildir and we
upgraded from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel in May and did notice a speed
improvement in mail store intensive tasks, like sorting.  I do not know
that the change is not due to an improved RAID array driver though.

On the other hand, my personal mail systems have always run reiserfs and
all of my data intensive servers at work run reiserfs and I have not had
a problem with any of them.  I do insist on at least some form of RAID,
preferably in hardware to minimalize the chances that I will fond out
how good my FS's recovery tools are.

good luck,
Adam

--