[Dovecot] linux 2.4 vs 2.6 kernel

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Jul 19 05:33:50 EEST 2005

Dan Hollis wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, vmstech wrote:
>

>>>People I know who've used Reiser say it's wonderfuly fast, but if it

>>ReiserFS does seems just like the ducksnuts in terms of performance, but
>>it seems to have accumulated some horror stories along the way:
>>http://www.linuxsa.org.au/pipermail/linuxsa/2002-January/038035.html
>>
>>Marcs being runing it for 5 years, no issues - any one else using it?
>>

>I've been using it for many years. At home, no issues.
>
>We used to have lots of severe corruption issues at work on production
>servers with ext2/ext3 (and a few with xfs). We switched to reiserfs and
>no more issues. Not just a few servers either.
>
>So i'd say quoting horror stories from 2002 definitely no longer applies.
>Its like quoting horror stories about kernel 2.4 (same time frame). And
>about as relevant :-)
>
>-Dan

I've installed it on about 30 servers with no problems at all. I think
there was one release of the kernel in 2002 thar had a reiser bug, but I
never used that one.

If you were running a few big files I'd say use ext3. But when it comes
to lots of little files like maildir you're looking at like a 10x speed
increaes.

Marc Perkel - marc at perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com