[Dovecot] Dovecot vs.Clients - strange behaviour, diagnostics sought

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 01:18:47 EEST 2005

Curtis Maloney wrote:
> Jeroen Scheerder wrote:
>
>> * Thunderbird doesn't work at all.  After some waiting, it bums out and
>>   reports:
>>
>>     Unable to connect to your IMAP server.  You may have exceeded the
>>     maximum number of conenctions to this server.  If so, use the
>>     Advanced IMAP Server Settings dialog to reduce the number of
>>     cached connections.
>>
>>   Note that it never even shows an authentication dialog, and the
>>   only thing I see in dovecot's log that relates to Thunderbirds
>>   attempt is:
>>
>>     dovecot: Jul 20 09:41:09 Info: imap-login: Disconnected: \
>>     Inactivity [131.211.143.87]
>>
>> I'm at a loss as to what's causing this.  On the one hand, dovecot
>> seems operational, on the other hand at least one client can
>> do nothing with it.
>

> See, this one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I've been running
> dovecot on Solaris for quite some time now, with an almost entirely
> Thunderbird user base.  The only difference is I'm not using it for SSL
> connections.
>
>  From what I've seen, MANY people on this list DO run Dovecot w/ SSL and
> Thunderbird.  There have been a few bugs, but I don't recall seeing this
> one.
>
> --
> Curtis

I'm running Dovecot-1.0-stable on Solaris with Thunderbird OK, but,
again, without SSL. Have you tried it without SSL? Can you get a packet
trace (use Solaris "snoop" then look at it with Ethereal) or use rawlog
(I think you have to compile support for the latter into Dovecot)?

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094