[Dovecot] Dovecot vs.Clients - strange behaviour, diagnostics sought

Jeroen Scheerder Jeroen.Scheerder at phil.uu.nl
Thu Jul 21 01:20:04 EEST 2005

Curtis Maloney:

> Jeroen Scheerder wrote:
> >* Thunderbird doesn't work at all.  After some waiting, it bums out and
> >  reports:
> >
> >    Unable to connect to your IMAP server.  You may have exceeded the
> >    maximum number of conenctions to this server.  If so, use the
> >    Advanced IMAP Server Settings dialog to reduce the number of
> >    cached connections.
> >
> >  Note that it never even shows an authentication dialog, [..]
>
> See, this one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I've been running dovecot
> on Solaris for quite some time now, with an almost entirely Thunderbird
> user base. The only difference is I'm not using it for SSL connections.
>
> From what I've seen, MANY people on this list DO run Dovecot w/ SSL and
> Thunderbird.  There have been a few bugs, but I don't recall seeing this
> one.

That's nice to know. :-)

My dovecot is running alongside another IMAP server.  Dovecot, with SSL
enabled, runs on port 994.  What I really wish to do, is to make it an
SSL-only service.

Thunderbird, in my test setup, is configured to use SSL.  I did notice,
though (if a bit unexpectedly) that the service on port 994 is plain,
albeit with STARTTLS.  Mutt and Apple's mail recognize that, switch
to TLS, and work.  Maybe Thunderbird doesn't handle this equally gracefully;
will try tomorrow.

Regards, Jeroen.