[Dovecot] Can't connect to auth server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 22 14:02:54 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 18:44 -0400, Todd Burroughs wrote:
> dovecot: Jul 12 15:59:05 Error: imap-login: Can't connect to auth server
> at default: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> The error is EAGAIN.  Sometimes it will resolve itself after a few
> minutes and sometimes it needs to be restarted (it may fix itself,
> I usually get a phone call if it goes on for very long).  I've looked
> while the problem is occuring and dovecot and dovecot-auth don't have
> an excessive number of file descriptors open, maybe 10 or 20.
>
> Any ideas or anything else to look at?  The system is SuSE Linux 9.2
> running kernel 2.6.x.  We have seen some odd things happen with these
> systems, so it is possible that it is not dovecot.  The kernel doesn't
> log anything unusual and other processes seem happy.

Well, what fails is connect() to UNIX socket. connect()'s man page says:

       EAGAIN No  more free local ports or insufficient entries in the routing
              cache. For PF_INET see the  net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range  sysctl
              in ip(7) on how to increase the number of local ports.

UNIX sockets don't allocate local ports, so maybe it has something to do
with routing or firewall?