[Dovecot] removing (hopefully) unneeded access to $HOME

adsmith at math.duke.edu adsmith at math.duke.edu
Mon Jul 25 03:09:52 EEST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for dovecot.  It's the best IMAP server ever.
Okay, here's my problem:

I use mbox INBOXes from /var/spool/mail/%u, and the INDEX lies in
/var/spool/mail/dovecot/%d/%u.  Users' other folders are found in /%h/mail.

Now, I notice that when a user is accessing her INBOX, the imap process cwd's to
the user's home, which I'd like to prevent as much as possible.

E.g., when the user's client is only watching INBOX, I still see:

[root at tock:~]$ lsof | grep home_kt
imap       6422      kt  cwd       DIR       0,17    12288    7602177 /home/kt (other.host:/home/kt)

Is there a way I can tweak the dovecot settings so that this cwd isn't holding
open the NFS mount?

Many thanks,
Abe Smith

--