[Dovecot] virtual mailboxes with postfix

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 07:05:49 EEST 2005

David Cake wrote:
> Everything appears to be working fine except actually checking and
> authenticating mail via dovecot.

Ah, and now you are posting in the right list.

If you can't see why this list is better than postfix-users, I
understand; it's common (especially for Windows people) to confuse
various mail protocols. Unix shell users of local accounts are more
likely to understand that POP3 and IMAP are not necessary parts of the
mail equation.

Also, "kitchen sink" products like MS Exchange (and like the
postfixadmin HOWTO tries to be) implement features not specific to mail
transport, and people tend to get confused. BTW postfixadmin itself is
misnamed ... it's actually a front end for MySQL.

I see plenty of logic in keeping Postfix discussion in a Postfix forum
and Dovecot discussion here. So, I presume, do the respective list
owners. Your attempt to argue that point on postfix-users was ill-advised.

>     I am fairly sure all I really need is the appropriate incantations
> in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and dovecot-mysql.conf - does anyone have
> this set up and working?
>     I should add that I want to allow both virtual mailboxes, and also
> local accounts, so I presumably need to support two different kinds of
> authentication.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/ has links pertaining to both questions (if in
fact there is a question above!) Comments in the sample config files
suggest what settings should work. Logs tell you why things are not working.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html suggests more
effective means of finding assistance with your problems.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header