[Dovecot] Well, "Hard filesystem quota can also be problematic"

Jeroen Scheerder Jeroen.Scheerder at phil.uu.nl
Wed Jul 27 09:12:59 EEST 2005

"Hard filesystem quota can also be problematic", quoth <http://www.dovecot.org/>.

Since we actually use quota for our userbasg, this merited further investigation.

Using 1.0-stable, we enabled quota on /var and /users filesystems, and set
very low quota for a test account.  Then we had some mail delivered on it, and
we moved some messages about.

At some point, Thunderbird started to croak about

	"The current command did not succeed.  The mail server responded:
	 Internal error occured.  Refer to server log for more information.
	 [<timestamp>].",
	"The current command did not succeed.  The mail server responded: .",
	"The current command did not succeed.  The mail server responded:
	 Out of disk space."

This I can live with.  Hoever, at some point in our experiments we also found
that a mailbox (mbox format) that did contain a few dozen messages suddenly
was truncated to 0 bytes.  Not so hot.

Can anyone tell me whether or not there is, or will be, some way of using
dovecot on a system with quota without risk of data loss when quota limits are
reached?  How do people cope with this?

Regards, Jeroen.

p.s. That first error message gave rise to the enclosed patch.