[Dovecot] Handling virtual domains

Phillip Davis phil at daviszone.org
Thu Jul 28 21:09:57 EEST 2005

Hello all,

I'm Having a sticky problem, and Im pretty sure I've configured dovecot
wrong, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I have a system running
sendmail.  I need to sue virtual domains, as several domains will be
hosted on this box.  I am using squirrelmail for webmail and it has a
vlogin plugin that allows me to use virtual domains, and it is working
correctly, so far as I can tell.  If a user goes to their email domain via

http://www.domain.com/webmail/

and logs in, it correctly converts their login from just user that they
typed in to user at domain.com, and if another domain was domain2.com and
they went to

http://www.domain2.com/webmail

it will send user at domain2.com to dovecot.  This is where I think I'm doing
it wrong.  Dovecot seems to just try that username which doesnt exist to
the local OS of course, its just user, not user at domain.com.  I read the
part about dovecot using the auth_passdb and auth_userdb but was really
confused how it works.  if I use those, does it expect sendmail to deliver
mail for those virtual domains to a new path I have supplied?  also do I
have to create a new and separate login and password flat file for it to
authenticate?  if so, how do I configure sendmail to deliver only those
specific mails from each separate user from different virtual domains to
be delivered?  I'm just trying out the virtual domain thing, and I'm
definitely
really really confused because it seems each piece of software I have
running here wants to do it differently.

any pointers, hits or help would greatly be appreciated.

--

Phil

Phil at daviszone.org