[Dovecot] Thread sorting problem

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Fri Jul 29 06:05:29 EEST 2005

I've just installed Dovecot on a Debian Sarge machine and am seeing some
very strange thread sorting.

In Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird on both Fedora and Debian clients my
threads served up by Dovecot look like this (number denotes message time):

|-11
| `-12
|-2
|-3
|-4
| `-5
|   `-6
|     `-7
|       `-8
|-1
`-9
   `-10

Where the exact same threads served by Sendmail/imap look like this:

|-1
|-2
|-3
|-4
| `-5
|   `-6
|     `-7
|       `-8
|-9
| `-10
|-11
| `-12

Squirrelmail shows the threads correctly in both cases too, so I suspect
there might be something funny going on with how Thunderbird handles
Maildir threads.  I notice that Dovecot doesn't support the
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT capability, might that have something to do with it?

thanks,
Greg