[Dovecot] Well, "Hard filesystem quota can also be problematic"

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Fri Jul 29 12:24:43 EEST 2005

Jeroen Scheerder wrote:

> Can anyone tell me whether or not there is, or will be, some way of
> using dovecot on a system with quota without risk of data loss when
> quota limits are reached?  How do people cope with this?

I use Dovecot 0.9.14 with disk quotas.

I use maildir format however.  you can't expect to use mbox format and
not get data loss/corruption when you hit a filesystem quota.  I've
fairly certain that even UW-IMAP will corrupt your mbox files in the
case of exceeding your quota as well.

so, with the maildir storage format, procmail and mimedefang rules to
reject mail for users that are over-quota, and dovecot configured to
store indexes and control files on a non-quota'd filesystem, I've got a
successful installation with filesystem quotas.

alan