[Dovecot] Can't see existing mail folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 14 13:57:14 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 11:40 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > > I have the following in dovecot.conf:-
> > >     default_mail_env =  mbox:/home/%u/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> I haven't specified any namespaces as far as I know.  I'm testing with
> squirrelmail which I haven't used with any IMAP server before and with
> mutt.  Neither of these can see anything.

Yes, but clients often have set default namespace prefixes since so many
other IMAP servers require them. Squirrelmail at least uses "INBOX." as
the default prefix.

> If I create a folder called 'sqtest' using squirrelmail I get
> $HOME/Mail/Mail/sqtest created.  $HOME/Mail already exists, dovecot
> seems to be creating both the new Mail subdirectory and sqtest.  I.e.
> I'm getting an extra 'layer' that I don't want.

The extra Mail/ doesn't happen because of INBOX. prefix, but it would
happen if prefix was set to Mail/. That's most likely the reason.

> (I really don't see that subscribing to mailboxes should make any
> difference, I know this is an MUA issue but as I understand it
> SUBSCRIBE is *NOT* the same as make visible.  Certainly mutt doesn't
> equate the two. The RFC certainly implies that SUBSCRIBE is for use
> with newsgroups, not mailboxes.)

Many clients have a setting to only show subscribed mailboxes, and some
clients use it by default.