[Dovecot] strip realms and force lowercasing of usernames?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 16 01:42:11 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 13:11 -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > PAM should be given a chance to modify the username dovecot uses to do the
> > > userdb lookup with.
> > Hmm. I remembered PAM wouldn't allow that, but looks like it does.
> > Changed CVS version to support that now (non-tested though, but doesn't
> > at least break the normal behavior).
>
> I've thought some more about writing a PAM module, but what's the
> solution for people who don't have pam and _must_ authenticate from
> /etc/passwd,shadow (getpwnam, getspnam)?
>
> Seems to me the only truly universal solution is to do this inside
> dovecot. It already has code to mangle the username with modifiers for
> mailspool location, so applying the same code to allow modifying username
> would seem to be a logical and consistent extension of existing dovecot
> behavior.

That's assuming that the code for stripping domain away from username is
useful for more than one or two people. I'm not really convinced of
that. There may be a way to make this possible in some generic way by
adding a feature that make this possible, but a
strip_domain_from_username=yes setting just isn't going to happen.