[Dovecot] strip realms and force lowercasing of usernames?

Dan Hollis test3943395 at anime.net
Thu Jun 16 02:13:18 EEST 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 13:11 -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > Seems to me the only truly universal solution is to do this inside
> > dovecot. It already has code to mangle the username with modifiers for
> > mailspool location, so applying the same code to allow modifying username
> > would seem to be a logical and consistent extension of existing dovecot
> > behavior.
> That's assuming that the code for stripping domain away from username is
> useful for more than one or two people. I'm not really convinced of
> that. There may be a way to make this possible in some generic way by
> adding a feature that make this possible, but a
> strip_domain_from_username=yes setting just isn't going to happen.

Think along the lines of reusing the existing dovecot code for mangling
usernames into mailbox names:

  default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%Lu/%u/Maildir

would be something like this to strip the domain:

  auth_passdb = passwd uname=%Ln

So not only does it use already existing dovecot code to process
usernames, it also uses existing dovecot syntax, existing dovecot
modifiers and does it in a generic way totally consistent with existing
dovecot behavior.

-Dan