[Dovecot] strip realms and force lowercasing of usernames?

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Thu Jun 16 02:17:45 EEST 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:42:11 +0300
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

: That's assuming that the code for stripping domain away from username
: is useful for more than one or two people. I'm not really convinced of
: that. There may be a way to make this possible in some generic way by
: adding a feature that make this possible, but a
: strip_domain_from_username=yes setting just isn't going to happen.

I was looking for this option a year or so ago.  I was converting a
company from a hosted email 'system' to an in-house email server using
postfix+dovecot.  All of the accounts were local accounts (for various
reasons), and the old system allowed either just the username or the
full email address.  I ended up going to each computer and changing the
options manually.

strip_username_after='@' is pretty generic.  But I'm not sure its the
most elegent solution.

Normally it wouldn't matter, but it would be a great feature for
migrating to Dovecot.