[Dovecot] Troubleshooting help

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 24 23:50:20 EET 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 15:03 -0500, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> Somehow, hopefully to be determined, I got my Thunderbird/dovecot
> Fedora Core 3 configuration into a real snit, such that I can no
> longer access my INBOX.
>
> When Thunderbird tries to get the INBOX content (or get new mail) it
> reports "The current command did not succeed.  The mail server
> responded: Invalid messageset: -2147483648:*."  Scouring logs and
> googling has come up empty.  Now I'm flailing at trying to get to a
> state that this problem does not exist.  I'd like to understand how
> this situation arose and how to deal with it better if it happens to
> any other users on my mail server.

mbox or maildir? Probably mbox? Sounds like you received an email with a
very high X-UID header which broke things. Probably easiest way to fix
it would be to delete Dovecot's index files (.imap.index*) and remove
all X-UID headers from your INBOX file:

grep -v '^X-UID: ' inbox > inbox2

Dovecot 0.99.14 version doesn't allow this to happen anymore. I guess
you were using older version?