[Dovecot] Multiple Logins - Single Mail Account

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Wed May 4 07:49:23 EEST 2005

* Net Cerebrum <netcerebrum at gmail.com> [20050504 06:43]: wrote:
> I have a mail account which needs to be accessed by 4-5 people
> simultaneously through IMAP. As of now I have configured it on the
> respective clients using the same username and password so we have
> multiple people accessing the same account through their mail clients
> simultaneously and it is working flawlessly. Is this alright or can it
> lead to some problems or corruption of data later ? What is the best
> way to allow multiple people to access a single mailbox for read as
> well as write operations ?

I am a newbie to dovecot, but from the top of my head, I must have read
somewhere that the dovecot 1.0-test version is the one that will
implement shared Maildir. The feature is not in 0.9.xx.
So ostensibly what you want is shared Maildir, but the way you have
setup should work. Just tell them to make a decision between themselves
who is allowed to do any deletions and there should be no problem.

I stress that I am a newbie, so I may not be right. Please see if you
can get some info about "shared Maildir" from the docs.

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121