[Dovecot] dovecot 0.99.14 and imaps (SSL) "hangs"

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Sat May 7 15:02:21 EEST 2005

Hello,

I just decided to try dovecot again after a long pause, and I must say
that I am very impressed with the speed and resource usage, even when
running with UNIX mailboxes.

However, I have a problem with SSL. Every two minutes the connection is
frozen, and the client has to reconnect after it times out waiting for
a response from the server.

My IMAP client fetches all headers, and then caches all messages in my
mailboxes. However, if I do this while connected to dovecot using SSL
(imaps, port 993) the connection times out roughly every two minutes,
and the IMAP client must close the connection, reconnect and resume
operations from where it left off. This makes resynching a 40000
message 300MB folder take VERY long :-)

Using the same client, connected to the same server and syncing the
same mailbox connecting to regular imap port (no TLS, port 143),
everything works smoothly.

The very same client, server and mailbox works flawlessly with uw-imapd
and SSL.

I have turned on rawlog, and everything seems to be OK. I am unable to
dump the wire, because it's SSL, so not sure what to do to debug this.

One thing I find a bit strange is that
/var/run/dovecot/ssl-parameters.dat is a 0 byte file. Is this normal?

Client: Apple Mail 1.3.11 (v622)
Server: dovecot 0.99.14, installed from ports on FreeBSD 5
dovecot.conf: