[Dovecot] transparent proxy

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 8 13:32:35 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 18:02 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> I guess I could ignore the first, but the second is sticky.  How
> hard would it be to hack a different sort of proxy server cue
> into the authentication?  Perhaps one of:
>
> If authenticating via passwd, use a gid as an index into a server
> table (or perhaps have the group name be a server name),
>
> If passwd authentication fails, try a starting the proxy to
> a specific other server and see if one can log in there.

These sound pretty special kludges which I'd rather not implement :)

> Or something else..  I dunno, I'm just looking not to install a
> SQL server just for this.

I think passwd-file could be modified in some way to support these. It's
a bit annoying that the last field which is "mail" can now contain ':'
characters.. The "flags" field is nowadays unused, so maybe something
like this could be done:

....:list:key=value:key=value:...:mail=mbox\:~/mail

where "list" is in the flags field, meaning rest of the list is in new
format.