[Dovecot] 1.0-stable loses flag changes sometimes?

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Mon May 23 17:26:04 EEST 2005

Anything in the dovecot.log file? With what mail clients have you seen
this happen. Are you using IMAP or POP?

"Trash" is just another mail folder as far as an IMAP server is
concerned (the only "special" folder is INBOX), so it would be very odd
for Dovecot to be moving things there.

The IMAP way of doing things is to mark a message as "deleted" and wait
for the client to send an "expunge" command (sometimes called "purge" or
"compact" by the mail clients). Some mail clients don't use this
functionality and move the message to a "Trash" folder instead, which
may be local or on the IMAP server.

As far as debugging is concerned, it may help to get a packet trace of
the traffic between the server and client at the time the odd behaviour
happens. I usually try to replicate a problem using the "debug" mail
client, namely telnet to port 143 and type in raw IMAP commands ;)

I'm not as au fait with POP, but if that's what you're using I'd think
it most likely to be the client at fault.

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094