[Dovecot] 1.0-stable loses flag changes sometimes?

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon May 23 19:03:33 EEST 2005

Am 23.05.2005 um 15:26 Uhr +0100 schrieb Chris Wakelin:
>Hauke Fath wrote:
>>
>>>I was reading a mail, when a new mail came in. At the same moment,
>>>the window was closed. Suspecting evil things, I looked into the
>>>trash, and there was the mail I just had been reading - without me
>>>even touching the computer!
>>
>>...again - Macintosh System 9, Eudora 6.1 this time.
>>
>>Anything I can provide to help debugging?
>
>Anything in the dovecot.log file?

Nothing besides the login message.

>With what mail clients have you seen this happen.

Eudora 6.1 on MacOS 9 and 6.2.1 on MacOS X.3.9.

>Are you using IMAP or POP?

imap over ssl. mbox format.

>"Trash" is just another mail folder as far as an IMAP server is
>concerned (the only "special" folder is INBOX), so it would be very
>odd for Dovecot to be moving things there.
>
>The IMAP way of doing things is to mark a message as "deleted" and
>wait for the client to send an "expunge" command (sometimes called
>"purge" or "compact" by the mail clients). Some mail clients don't
>use this functionality and move the message to a "Trash" folder
>instead, which may be local or on the IMAP server.

Quite. But when "something" marks a mail as "deleted", the client
updates the mailboxes accordingly. I.e. when Dovecot plays with the
mail flags, the client follows.

Thanks for your comments,

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik