[Dovecot] 1.0-stable loses flag changes sometimes?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 24 00:10:49 EEST 2005

On 20.5.2005, at 18:43, Hauke Fath wrote:

> Well - after updating Dovecot to 1.0-stable of 2005-05-17, I've seen
> the following disturbing behaviour:
>
> With Eudora 6.2.1 on MacOS X (one window per mail), I was reading a
> mail, when a new mail came in. At the same moment, the window was
> closed. Suspecting evil things, I looked into the trash, and there was
> the mail I just had been reading - without me even touching the
> computer!

Well, first it would be useful to know if the trash is a real folder on
server or if it's a virtual folder created by Eudora. Also, is Eudora
using one or more IMAP connections? Are there any other IMAP clients
accessing the server? (check how many imap processes there are)

Sounds pretty strange anyway. Hmm. If it's a problem internal to
Dovecot, pretty much the only possibility for that is that it somehow
confuses one message's flags with another, but I can't really think of
how that could happen. I can think of two external reasons though:

1) The sent message had X-Status header with D-flag. This causes
Dovecot to assume the message is deleted.

2) Eudora filtering rules or some other IMAP client (eg. spam checker)
notices the new mail, mail matches its filtering and it sets it
deleted.

You sure it's not either of these?

For Dovecot debugging it would be helpful if you turned on rawlogging,
and when it again happens check the logs what actually happened: Did
some client send \Deleted flag update? If not, what happened between
the new mail being seen and its flag being changed to \Deleted?

Also, how is Eudora fetching the message from server? Using FETCH
BODY[] or BODY.PEEK[] or RFC822.TEXT? The non-peek version updates
\Seen flag immediately, so that could theoretically cause something
which could get \Deleted flag to be changed and returned..