[Dovecot] imaps tls/ssl and stupid clients

Michael Moritz mimo at gn.apc.org
Thu May 26 22:05:09 EEST 2005

We have been using dovecot now as replacement for qpopper for over 2 weeks and
it's working nicely. I have now tried to enable ssl/tls for myself and other
inhouse users which also works fine. But the problem is that I use an
uncertified certificate. Which is not a problem for kmail, as it just pops up
a box asking whether I want to accept the certificate or not. But apparently,
some stupid email programs used by other people just hang up on an
uncertified certificate. I have figured out that
  ssl_disable = yes
is the critical setting. If it's set everything works, if not, then all
services allow tls/ssl and the stupid clients choke on it. Since others just
use pop3 I wonder whether there is a way I can disable tls support for pop3
but enable it for imap or even only for imaps?
Any ideas or am I starting from the wrong side?

Thanks and regards,

mimo