[Dovecot] Re: Migrating Dovecot 0.99 to 1.0stable: the UIDL issue

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 28 14:45:56 EEST 2005

On 28.5.2005, at 14:23, Nicolas STRANSKY wrote:

> Le 05/24/2005 11:21 PM, Nicolas STRANSKY a écrit :
>
>> I'm planing to move a big mail server currently under Dovecot 0.99 to
>> Dovecot 1.0 stable. One problem I had once when doing this was that
>> all the UIDL had to change and that all users using pop3 and leaving
>> their messages on the server had to re-download all of them, which is
>> annoying.
>> I'd like to know to the UIDL really have to change when migrating
>> from 0.99 to 1.0stable or if this was a configuration problem on my
>> side.
>> Are there any tips for this to be as transparent as possible for the
>> users ?
>
> I just have a simple question regarding the UIDL compatibility between
> Dovecot 0.99 and 1.0-stable.
> Do the UIDL change between both versions, and if yes, is there a way
> that they do not change, so that pop3 users leaving their mail on the
> server do not have to re-download all af them ?

They shouldn't change. pop3_uidl_format specifies the UIDL format, and
the default is the same as with 0.99.x. If the UIDLs change, there is
some problem.. Are you using mbox or maildir? The default UIDL is
generated from UIDLVALIDITY and UID. With mboxes UID is stored in X-UID
headers and with maildir in dovecot-uidlist file. As long as 1.0-stable
can read those the UIDL shouldn't change.