[Dovecot] Plain Text Auth

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 28 15:39:11 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 08:45 -0600, Adam Barrett wrote:
> I have the following set in my conf
>
> disable_plaintext_auth = no
> auth =default
> auth_mechanisms = plain
> auth_userdb = passwd /etc/passwd
> auth_passdb = shadow
>
> it has been a long time since I studied up on shadow and passwd, but
> to my recall if you have in your passwd file something to the effect
> of
>
> name:*:123456
>
> that the * means you are using shadow for your passdb, right?

I guess. Dovecot doesn't parse passwd or shadow files directly anyway,
it just uses some libc functions to do it.

Are you sure you want to use shadow anyway? PAM is much more commonly
used nowadays.

Anyway, if there are login problems set auth_verbose = yes and look at
the log file. It tells you what went wrong.