[Dovecot] Pop-before-smtp and MySQL?

Matteo Garofano m.garofano at internetware.it
Mon Nov 28 13:40:08 EET 2005

Hi,
I found that dovecot have many nice features.
Now I write because I'm tring to setup the dovecot server, I would
substitute a qpopper daemon (patched for mysql authentication)
The problem I find is to set up the pop-before-smtp using sql (mysq) as
written in http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/PopBSMTPAndDovecot
(Waiting for post_login ;-)
I would use the script popbsmtp.sh and not a perl pig. (I'm using qpopper
patched to store the relay IP in mysql and it works)
I set .my.cnf in /root
What happen is that the $3 don't contain the IP that should be written to
the DB. Is there something I miss ?
I tried to modify the dovecot.conf file like this
mail_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/popbsmtp.sh
/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3 %r "%r"
and it write to the db the litteral value %r and not the ip, otherwise it
write nothing.
the connection with mysql works and any other operation on it works.
this should be the last step for my setting.

Have you any hint?

Thanks in advance
and
best regards