[Dovecot] Backup Maildir

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Thu Oct 6 23:52:31 EEST 2005

* On 06/10/05 21:20 +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> On 06/10/05, Odhiambo Washington (wash at wananchi.com) wrote:
> > * On 06/10/05 16:06 +0100, Gabe Granger wrote:
> > > I'm currently doing nightly full backups of /home.  I'm not sure if a
> > > full back up is the best way to do backups.  I know with my
> > > fileserver i do weekly full backup and daily incremental which would
> > > file on those type of files.  I guess my question to the group is,
> > > how do you guys backup Maildir? whats the best way of doing it?
>
> > How do you backup e-mails for users when during the backup, they are
> > deleting the e-mails from the Maildir (POPping) and at the same, and
> > the SMTP server is also writing to it.
>
> One way was along the lines of our discussion some time ago on Exim
> list, to deliver to either a global or per-user backup pool of messages
> which are only deleted after the backup system has seen them (or
> possibly deleted by the backup itself).

Yes, I can do that perfectly - delivering to a per-user backup Maildir
somewhere, but remember that in this case, we have the overhead of dual
delivery and a separate storage ;)

> At one client we use the global backup system, and store the headers in
> an sql database, together with the exim message id and the md5sum of the
> file.
>
> Not very good for restoring mailboxes/maildirs though. Sorry for the
> digression!

So, what happens if the client was to ask you for a backup of mail that
he received last June? ;)

        Best regards,
        Odhiambo Washington
	Systems Admin,
        Wananchi Online Ltd.

Are you hosting your domain name with the leaders??:
See http://webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/KE

DISCLAIMER : http://ns2.wananchi.com/~wash/Email/disclaimer.txt
 Odhiambo WASHINGTON			. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)
 http://www.wananchi.com/email/		. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,
 Mobile: (+254) 722 743 223		. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI