[Dovecot] Backup Maildir

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Fri Oct 7 02:07:36 EEST 2005

On 06/10/05, Odhiambo Washington (wash at wananchi.com) wrote:
> * On 06/10/05 21:20 +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> > Not very good for restoring mailboxes/maildirs though. Sorry for the
> > digression!
>
> So, what happens if the client was to ask you for a backup of mail that
> he received last June? ;)

    SELECT
        *
    FROM
        mail
    WHERE
        user = client
        and
        dateinserted >= '2004-06-01'
        and
        dateinserted < '2004-07-01'

We can send the client the list of headers from the sql query and they
can pick the messages they need, then we pull that back from tape. We
back a month's pool of messages to tape over smb every week.

Obviously, this backup system has more to do with proving that the
office in question got/sent an email than pulling back a whole
Maildir/Mailbox.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange