[Dovecot] Backup Maildir

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Fri Oct 7 09:30:23 EEST 2005

>>How do you backup e-mails for users when during the backup, they are
>>deleting the e-mails from the Maildir (POPping) and at the same, and
>>the SMTP server is also writing to it.

We're running Solaris on both the Dovecot and backup server. As backup
software, we're using Veritas Netbackup. At this time, we just backup
the Maildir data. I think the change that an open file is being
backupped is very small, but besides that, our users mostly want to
restore mail from a few days earlier.

On Solaris there is the 'fssnap' tool to make a snapshot of the
filesystem. I could create a snapshot when the backup starts and delete
it afterwards. An other solution could be mirroring the filesystem with
Solaris Volume Manager. When the backup starts, break the mirror and
restore it afterwards.

-Remy